Posted by: Help | 2009-02-09

I need...

Help! I am over weight and so tired of trying to lose weight and getting no where. I have started a high protein diet which is a two week plan and I have lost two kgs on the scale but I can' t notice it in my clothes. I feel quite sick and I can' t wait till this diet is over because I don' t like meat very much and I feel very sluggish and yuck eating a heavey protein with each meal.
Before the diet I was feeling very tired all the time and have not felt like eating properly in months. To tell you the truth, I could live on chocolate and biscuits because everything else seems to put me off and I was just eating the " right"  meals because I had/have to. I always cook with small amounts of olive oil and I use minimal salt and I try to include as many vegetables and fruit into my family' s diet. I do try and make sure I follow the five a day rule but honestly I just don' t feel like it. I crave for desserts all the time and if I am very hungry I would rather eat a biscuit than have a good meal. As I said above, I don' t like meat very much but I eat it as I know it is important. I battle to eat food in the mornings and I even battle with making lunches for the family because food so early makes me quite nauseous. I only end up eating at around ten and then I always had toast or a cereal that usually lasted me till dinner although I might of had a snack here and there. By the time I have cooked dinner I am not in the mood but I will eat it and after dinner is when my sugar craving starts. I have no desire for sweet things during the day but come night time is when I crave. I really need to get out of this rut. I do excercise. I hardly ever eat take aways and if I do I choose a healthy option, I hate oily foods as they make me feel sick very quickly and I can' t stomach to eat crisps either. It is mainly chocolate that I feel I need to eat???
I must say apart from feeling nauseous and my tummy feeling rather yuck on this protein diet I feel quite wide awake and have not battled with cravings. For the first time in about a year I have avoided dessert and chocolate completely for over a week. I know protein diets are no good I am just hoping the loss will give me a boost in the right direction. I am 1.5m and now weigh 57kgs so I need to lose another 5 or so kgs.
Could I be lacking a vitamin that is causing me to crave sugar and not feel like eating?

Dear Help
I would recommend that you have a medical checkup to see if you suffer from hypoglycaemia, insulin resistance or diabetes because some of the symptoms you list like the cravings for sweets, feeling tired, etc could indicate problems like these. If you find after 2 weeks that the high protein diet is not sustainable, please do have that medical checkup because if you do suffer from hypoglycaemia or insulin resistance then you will have to use a low-GI diet to control your blood sugar and insulin levels. If you do have insulin resistance (IR) then I would recommend that you should consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).