Posted by: Hmmm | 2011-03-30

I might be a freak

no matter how well a job interview goes and how positive the feedback is after the interview, come psychometric test or preferences test and all those things - I get rejected!

There's little scientific background to the validity or such tests in these situations. As Purple explains it, these practices are based on some really lousy logic.
Right brain / left brain stuff is largely hokum, and career coaches, like Life Coaches are largely self-qualified people who love being paid for their amateur opinions.
I like Purple's suggestion that you ask each time for feedback on the results of those tests, so you can find out what's not working there.

Posted by: Purple | 2011-03-31

Yes, we can all be good at things we don''t enjoy, but it takes a lot more perseverance and effort than if we just play to our strengths.

I don''t know much about right brain, left brain stuff. I''m talking about proper aptitude / psychometric tests.

What happens often with recruitment is that its a very basic personality test that gets used and a graph is produced which is compared to a graph about the job. When they compare a couple of candidates who have all come through the interview well, they will then make an offer to the one who has a profile most closely resembling the one required for the job. The psychologist might point things out to a line manager, but often gets ignored becuase someone once told that line manager that if the line went like that on the graph it meant the person would be good at the job.

People who are square pegs in round holes might be able to do their jobs very well, but they can get bored easily and become trouble causers or htey have to expend so much effort and energy on just getting things done properly that they can never do anything beyond the basics of the job, they don''t ever really do the job with flair and real insight.
However, that isn''t always the case.
For example, some people with high general intelligence can really outperform anyone at any job they set their mind to doing and in the beginning will probably enjoy the challenge of learning something new, but soon they will be after the next challenge - though depending on their personality, they might stick it out and continue to do it well until they find something else even if that is only 5 years later.

All these tests can give an indication, they aren''t the be all and end all.

I don''t know how much a career coach can help you - the word coach means unqualified person playing at being a psychologist in my opinion. Hells bells, I could set myself up as a career coach - but I''m not qualified to give any sort of educated advice (I just love to give my opinion). A career counsellor is a qualified industrial psychologist, they usually name themselves that though as most people don''t know what industrial psychology is. schools can usually provide details of local industrial psychologists as they often send children for career counselling before choosing subjects or deciding on their tertiary education.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Hmmm | 2011-03-31

Thank Purple.

I''ve seen a career coach and yes according to the right brain-left brain stuff I''m in the wrong field BUT I''m good at it. I hate it but I''m good at it. You can be good at something you hate if you are committed. I''m planning a career change but have to stick to the current path for now. If Psychometric test show this then maybe they worry I''d resign in the short term...

Reply to Hmmm
Posted by: Purple | 2011-03-31

psychometric tests compare what the job requires in terms of personality with the applicants personality.

Perhaps you have gone into a career that you just aren''t that suited to and this is why this keeps happening to you.

You are entitled to ask the company for feedback on the tests you have done. They might have a psychometrist who administers the tests, but there will be a psychologist who overssees everything and can give you feedback. The companies don''t usually offer feedback, but it is your right to receive feedback, so just ask for it.

Then, perhaps go and see a career counselor or industrial psychologist and discuss what other career options there might be for someone with your qualifications and experience. A recruitment agency can probably discuss those options with you too, but mostly they are under such pressure just to place people that they don''t have time to have in depth discussions with job hunters, as its the companies that pay them not the job seekers.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Enjoy.... | 2011-03-30

....the street

Reply to Enjoy....