Posted by: Anna | 2009-10-08

I love him

Hi All

I read these posts on H24 almost everyday and I thought I might as well write about the situation I find myself in. I am in love with a man 17 years older than me. I am 25 and he is 42yrs old. He is the most amazing person I have ever met. It took us two months to confess our feelings for each other, after spending so much time together as friends. We would do movies, dinner, theatre etc. He has two sons of which he has full custody of. I am yet to tell my parents about this relationship and I am pretty petrified of how they would react. I would hate to give up on something so wonderful on the other hand I don’ t want to disappoint my parents. What to do?

What is most signficant, usually, is not the difference in calendar years, but the distance between you in behaviours and interests. It sounds as though you may share similar interests in movies, theatre, and so on, and that helps. Its hard for anyone else to guess how your parents might react to this news, and you know them best. Based on how they have reacted to your other friendships, how do you expect them to react ? At least by taking the initiative to raise the matter with them, calmly, and then give them a chance to meet the guy, you avoid the likelihood that they would eventuially find out anyway, and have the added concern that you had kept this secret from them.

Posted by: Anna | 2009-10-08

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts around this. I am so sure about him and there is no doubt in mind that he doesnt feel the same. He has never given me reason to think otherwise. He is amazing.
Thanks :)

Reply to Anna
Posted by: almost mad | 2009-10-08

The doc is right by saying you should tell your parents. But ther is the other option of maybe waiting till you really sure about the relationship. Think everything through carefully first. Like what happens when you old...when he is 60, you will be 40 and still young. Are you okay with that? Are you okay that he has 2 grown sons? Do you want to be there mother etc? But if you serious then go ahead and tell them.

Reply to almost mad
Posted by: Kelly | 2009-10-08

I' m sure it won' t be as bad as you think in your mind.
They might even end up liking him as much as you do.
Enjoy and good luck to the two of you and do be careful at the same time.

Reply to Kelly