Question
Posted by: Liza | 2009-09-01

I lost it this morning

Was on my way to work this morning. Got to the Adderley street side of Woolworths and wanted to get into a taxi. There was this 16/17 year old who also wanted to get in front. I asked him where he was getting off since I was getting off at the start of Greenpoint. He was wearing a school uniform of a high school in Seapoint. He just gave me this goofy grin and asked me why. Is it really that difficult to understand that the first one to get off the taxi, should sit by the door? Then we sat and waited for the taxi to fill up. Unfortunately he started to fidget. Playing with whatever was closest at hand. In this instance, the gear lever. He even put the taxi into gear. Then the driver came and switched the taxi on since it was almost full. Luckily he noticed that the taxi was in gear and put it into neutral before starting the engine. Then with the engine running, this kid starts to play with the gear lever again. I just lost it. I turned to him and asked him whether he was five years old to still be playing with car knobs and levers. Was he going to pay for damages if he accidentally put the taxi into gear and crashed into the taxi in front of us. Not to mention the fact that people in the taxi could get hurt too. Luckily he immediately stopped after I told him to stop. Otherwise I would have chased him into the back of the taxi where he couldn' t do any damage. Honestly, my 9 year old son has better sense. And the school uniform this boy was wearing, was for a normal school. Not a special school. So I doubt whether he suffers from anything that could cause this behaviour.

Still, I' m worried that I' m a little manic and totally overreacted. Does it sound like I am?

Thanx
Liza

Hi Liza,
So you met a silly kid who was behaving foolishly. And you responded like a responsible adult appropiately irritated by bad behaviour that risked the welfare of others. Doesn;'t sound like an over-reaction, even though on calmer days you might have responded in a more muted fashion !

5
Posted by: Liza | 2009-09-02

Lims - you do realise that those taxis park within 5 cm of each other? One tiny jump is all that would be needed to crash into the taxi in front.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Kelly | 2009-09-01

I think you overreacted.
You could have just told him in a polite manner which it does not seem you did.Anyways he was being stupid in any case so I guess thats fine for him.
Hope you in a more cheerfull mood by now.

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: Kim | 2009-09-01

You did not overreact, the driver knew very well that he had left it on neutral and had he not checked, obviously the car was going to give a jump kinda of action, and this stupid child would have had a time of his life. Am sure he is in grade 11 or 12 and he is acting like he is in grade 0 - good thing you sorted him out!!!

Reply to Kim
Posted by: Lims | 2009-09-01

You totally overreacted.......if the taxi engine was on and the kid had put the taxi into gear.the taxi would have jumped and switched off. Then the taxi driver would have dealed with the kid.

Reply to Lims
Posted by: Lims | 2009-09-01

Reply to Lims