Posted by: anonymous | 2009-03-09

I Look pregnant

Dear Doc

I need to know why my stomach is constantly bloated? I know that drinking gas drinks is one of the cause but how do I substitute it. My mother also has a huge stomach so it definitely runs in the family.

Please help

Dear Anonymous
Is your tummy distended by gas and winds, or do you have fat deposits in the abdomen? If you suffer from winds and bloating, then it is essential to have a medical examination to determine what is causing this problems (e.g. irritable bowel disease, ulcers, enzyme deficiencies, food allergies, etc). If you tend to have large fat deposits in the abdomen then you may need to lose weight all round and to do targeted exercises like sit-ups to tighten the tummy muscles, but if this does not help then I would recommend that you discuss the problem with a plastic surgeon because liposuction and/or a tummy tuck may be the only way of getting your tummy firm and trim again.