Question
Posted by: Bily Jean | 2009/11/24

I know it' s right to leave him, but still I' m so sad

Dear Cybershrink,

I' ve been in a destructive relationship that started off with lies. I know I can' t trust him and in the meantime we had a baby boy, now almost 2yrs old. He promised to change and although he stopped drinking and sneaking out, he cannot fend for himself and I can' t and won' t support him financially. So, after seeking advice I asked him to leave for good.

I know it is the wise thing to do, but we have a child, so he' ll always be in my life. I will see him when he visits his child for example. And, I feel incredibly sad and yet I know I had to take this stand, else he' ll always walk over me.

Why then do I not feel relief, but this intense sadness and how can I get past this hurt? How do I also stop attracting men that are no good for me? I seem to have bad luck in that department all my life.

PLEASE give me some guidelines?
Thank you and best regards.

Promises are usually meaningless unless and until they are delivered in continuing actions.
He is an adult and can and must fend for himself - he may well not bother to do so, so long as you support and assist him.
Feel sad, to a degree, because you wish he was otherwise, but do not feel guilty or responsible for his own chosen failures.
Proper CBT-style counselling could help you to feel better about the wise move you have made, and to understand and avoid this repeating pattern

1