Posted by: BI | 2009-04-02

I just don' t care

I am so struggling to keep it together. I' m bored, so bored I could die. Sometimes I think about dying, I mean it feels like this life has nothing to offer me and I' m just taking up oxygen, when it could be much better used by other people: the motivated happy engaged enlightened beings. I wish I could be like them!
Why they so happy? And how? I mean I got a great job, really sexy ' friend with benefits' , a family who cares, a stunning son, good friendships, so.... why do I not care? I just can' t see the ' purpose'  of living. I could afford to go on holiday this month but frankly: where would I go? why? what' s the point?
It' s very strange. I sometimes just wanna collapse and cry because I just don' t know how to experience meaning: it' s like my job, and son and friend/s and family are all just distractions to keep us too busy to realise that psst...(life is meaningless).
But it is. I just can' t escape this feeling of " who cares"  " so what"  " whatever"  so blase.
I cause fights with my " boyfriend"  sometimes because I think I just get bored. I delay my work tasks so I can " create challenge"  by rushing to do it in the last minute. A fake sort of sense of challenge.
I got divorced and simply moved on... smoothly. Got a job... easily. Got a " boyfriend"  at the snap of my fingers, have supportive caring friends just because. got another job because I felt like it. Am too good at what I do...
Bored, people. Bored!
What do I do, this is annoying - for me and people around me!!

Why do you waste time wanting to be like other people, rather than working towards becoming a far nicer and more interesting YOU. ? There's no excuse to be bored ( unless locked in solitary confinement ) --- get new hobbies, join sports and cultural oranizations, work with charities and NGO's. Meet pople worse off that you do, and enjoy jelping them.
Perhaps you have a sneaky Depression, which removes on'es pleasure in pleasurable activities and situations. Get assessed, treated if necessary, and consider CBT counselling to discover what purpose in life would satisfy you

Posted by: sarah | 2009-04-02

Yeah there are lots of people who would die to be in your shoes,give back to the less fortunate and maybe u will find your purpose in life.We all here for some reason Im still finding mine But you have something u have to learn,experience,do...If you had to loose your child would that explain meaning ??Or even not have a job and sleep on the streets would that have meaning ....U are very lucky,use it to make a diffrence if not in your won life -then someone else' s ...why you ask ??Coz you can .

Reply to sarah
Posted by: Maria | 2009-04-02

It sounds to me as if you have been suppressing your feelings for so long that now you are alive, but not living. Be careful that your behaviour does not become increasingly risky because you are trying so hard to FEEL.

I have two suggestions:
1) Find a good psychologist that can help you work through this
2) Do some volunteer work - focussing ones attention on people less fortunate than yourself makes a big difference

Reply to Maria