Question
Posted by: Honey | 2008/10/22

I have to leave my baby behind

I have a one year old foxy, Linka who is the absolute light of my life. I am also 24 weeks pregnant and moving to Cape Town where I will be staying for a few months next week. The thing is, my parents have four dogs and three cats and no space for my little one so I am leaving her with a very wonderful family I am lodging with at the moment, where she is very happy. I am planning on fetching my sweety as soon as baby is born and I' m settled into a new place. What I want to know is will she remember me if I do come fetch her 6 months from now, and what can I do to make the sadness easier. The lady of the house treats her like a daughter in the house so she is very cared for and loved but I can' t seem to stop crying just thinking of her staying behind and not knowing whether I am coming back. She has a rottweiler friend here that she absolutely loves so she won' t be lonely, I' m just afraid she might stop eating and miss me as we haven' t been apart ever since she was given to me (I work from home).

I feel like such a bad mom for not being able to take her with immediately. Any suggestions to make it easier?

Dear Honey

I often have to listen to people when they tell me that they want to put their 3 year old dog to sleep because they are moving elsewhere and the dog will miss them so much that would rather put the dog to sleep. Re-homing is not an option for them. They assume that the dog will never adjust to a new home. People survive solitary confinement and torture for years, your dog will be fine.

2
Posted by: Mary | 2008/10/27

I lost my darling nine week old German Sheppard puppy due to parvovirus today. I am truely devestated.
What I want to know is how are these pups treated for parvovirus? He was admitted last week Wednesday. The only treatment he received was antibiotic injections and fluids that was injected into his neck. Is this the norm or should he have been on an ivy?
The vet phoned me today to let me know that he was in a bad state and I had to make a decision to have him put to sleep or have an ivy put on.
I can' t help but feel that if he had the ivy from the begining that he might have survived, thus the reason for my question

Reply to Mary
Posted by: Chill | 2008/10/22

Yes.

Stop wallowing and get realistic - this is not the worst thing that has happened to anyone ever in the whole world.

You are making excellent provision for your dog (note: your ' baby'  is actually someone quite different) and she will be perfectly happy, she will not pine, and when you go to fetch her, she will take 5 mins to recognise you and after that it will be as though you have never been away.

Of course you will be sad saying goodbye to her. Nothing wrong with that. But you' re really making a meal of this, as though you want to make yourself totally miserable - which is utterly pointless and unnecessary.

Reply to Chill