Posted by: Roelien | 2008-10-30

I have been diagnosed with B.A.D.A.S.

I have been diagnosed with Bowel Associated Dermatosis Arthritis Syndrome (Very similar to Crohn' s disease) and it has changed my entire life. I permanantly feel tired, sick and have small sores on my hands, feet, elbows and outer thighs. I have constant pain and swelling in my feet and get severe headaches from time to time. I had the disease for almost 5 years and no one could find out what was wrong until I was referred to Proff. Heyl at UP. He diagnosed the illness and for the last two years I have been taking large dosages of antibiotics and cortizone. The medication does not seem to help my situation much and if I stop taking the Flagyll for three to four days the infection gets so bad that every small sore starts leaking a yellow puss all over my body. I feel that the illness is getting stronger and that I am losing the battle. Is there anything else I can do or is there any other medicines that I can try to make me better? I am desperate and depressed because this disease have cost me my job and is affecting my marriage and everything around me. I look forward to your reply. Regards Roelien Degenaar 0828043060

Hallo Roelien
I apologize that I took so long to respond to your query. This is quite a rare disease and it seems as if the only effective treatment is cyclical treatment with antibiotics. They think that this could be caused by overgrowth of bacterial flora in the bowel with subsequent development of a circulating immune complex disease. It may be worth your while to get an opinion from a rheumatologist ( they specialize in immune diseases) and it may help to take Probiotics three times a day long term. Please let me know what the rheumatologist says?