Question
Posted by: Gracie | 2012/02/22

I have a problem ....

I feel very insecure in relationships, even friendships. I get angry if I don''t get the attention I feel I need and cannot seem to understand that my friends cannot always be available when I want them to be. This has caused a lot of problems in my life and I have lost some very close friends because of this. I say and do things without thinking and then the situation explodes, I step back and want to make everything right again. I have had very close friends, really good friends and my behaviour has distanced them from me. Do I have some kind of disorder? Should I speak to a counsellor. I know that I am going to end up being alone in my life and I don''t want that to happen. I have insecurities I do not know how to deal with. I am a rather attractive woman and I have more male than female friends, yet my behaviour (I think a lot of jealousy from my side) has caused problems in those relationships too. Please help. I feel as though this ''self-destructive'' behaviour of mine is going to destroy all my relationships. Thank you.

This must be very inconvenient for you and your friends. You apparently have insight, in that you recognize the problem. IT sounds like the sort of thing where counselling, especially of the CBT form ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) could be really useful. It is a well-proven method which is good at helping us to learn to change bad habits of thinking and behaving. I'm sure you can be helped

1