Posted by: Confused | 2009-09-10

I hate my job!!!

Good Morning Cybershrink,

In a period of 6 years, I have worked for 5 companies and am on my 6th company. The job hopping was about money at first and now it' s no longer about money. I dont enjoy doing what I am doing (IT) and the it is the only experience I have. I also have a Postgrad degree in IT. I thought by moving around I will end up finding what I like doing and yet I havent. I have been with my current company for 2 month and already thinking of resigning, but this time I dont want to look for another job especially in IT. I just want to resign and go home and figure out what am going to do.

Problem is I am a married mother of two who can not afford to go sit at home with no income especially with the current economic situation. But, I just hate being at work. I cant sleep at night stressing about going to work. I am slowly becoming depressed about the whole situation but just do not know how to solve it. I just hate my job, and changing jobs will not help!!!

Please help me!

Don't you enjoy anything about IT ? Or is it some aspects of IT jobs themselves that you find disagreeable ?
Can't you figure out what you'd prefer doing WHILE working ? Is it necessary to resign before starting to think this through ? What is it at wok that is so stressing you ? Isn't it possible, perhaps with a few counsellin sessions, to find better ways of handling the irritants ? There'd be the risk that if you took yet another new job, the same irritants might arise, unless youlearn to avoid and handle them when unavoidable.
There are psychological rests that assess both your aptitudes and skills, and your interests, and try to match them to potential jobs There's no point in pursuing a line you love but are useless at, or something you're brilliant at but hate.
Excellent advice from Liza, who might have been a much better than average nurse, as well !

Posted by: Liza | 2009-09-10

Sounds like you didn' t get proper career counseling before starting to study? Causing you to study something that is not fulfilling to you?

I know how it feels to hate your job. I' m also in IT, but studying IT was the right decision for me. Before that I studied nursing - what a disaster!

What I' m going to suggest now, might not sound all that great, but it will get you going in the right direction.
1. Stay with your current job. You need the salary.
2. Go to the Bureau for career counseling at your nearest Unisa/university/college campus. They will help you find out what you really want to be doing. Then start to study in that direction part-time. It will take a while, but the feeling of doing something that will get you out of your ' bad'  situation, will already help you to feel better. Perhaps the career counseling can even help you to find a job where you can use your degree, but do something you like more, although I think that after 6 companies you would have found this on your own.
3. Find a psychologist who specialises in CBT to help you minimise your negative thoughts and handle the anxiety of going to work.
4. Do more things that you like over weekends. If you like the outdoors - take your children hiking. You have to take a complete break from work after working hours. Don' t take work home and don' t work overtime unless absolutely necessary.
5. Exercise. Exercise causes endorphins to be released in the blood. This happy-hormone will make you feel much better and more relaxed after good exercise.
6. Healthy eating plan. Ensure that you get all the nutrients you need. If you don' t, you' ll be more prone to feeling fatique which will cause the depression to become worse.

Good Luck

Reply to Liza