Question
Posted by: Shelly | 2009-11-04

I hate everyone, for nothing!

I used to be a friendly kind outgoing person, now I hate everyone. I feel unreasonable disgust, scorn, anger &  irritation towards everyone, even strangers. Their biggest crime could be having a bad hairstyle, and I hate them for it. I hate myself too, for becoming such a horrible person. It seems that I' m constantly struggling to stop my anger &  irritation. I have to force myself to smile, &  if anyone' s nice to me I feel irritation. I' m 55, female, &  have had my hormone levels checked - they' re fine. The past 4yrs have been a bit tough. My husband died, then my mother died shortly after that. I lost my job due to company liquidation, started drinking alone everyday. Went to rehab, &  I' ve been sober for a year. I live alone.
Could I be suffering from depression, or some sort of post death trauma? My 1st husband died 25 yrs ago, and I coped. I' ve always been strong &  able to handle anything that came my way, &  have coped with some hard emotional things in my life. Yet somehow I' ve never really felt " real" . It' s as if I don' t belong anywhere, &  am not part of anything. Please help.

Hi Shelly,
Hmmm. Just as well you haven't seen my latest hairstyle. Seriously, you seem to be decribing severe irritability and anger, and you have experienced a number of major stresses and anoyances in the last year. Yes, this could be a form of Depression, and would then respond well to treatment of that underlying condition. But the first step, as ever, is to see a good local shrink, or at least a really good GP, for assessment and diagnosis. If Depression, then CBT and medication would be likely to be helpful.
I am sure you can surmount this set of problems - people who have been capable in the past have excellent chances of resuming their capabilities

2
Posted by: mary | 2009-11-05

try to find some things you enjoy. i also went through a depression and was irritable with everyone. Usually it means you are not getting what you want from life, could even be your expectation are there yet you need to let go of trying to control everything in your life. find things you enjoy.. try something new!! this really works..specially a social activity/hiking club, dancing etc
you' ve had a lot to deal with, if you can affrod it go for therapy.. otherwise don' t be too hard of yourself, things will probably improve over time. take care or yourself and treat yourself now and then.

lots of love
Mary

Reply to mary

Hi Shelly,