Question
Posted by: tom | 2008/08/10

i had a blackout i guess

What i remember, i was laying pavers in the back yard had 3-4 beers, next my wife had called the police and i was put in jail fot D.V. that was last 8/24/07 i,ve been to a HYP and we could not get any thing out i,ve tryed myself with no success, help.
The 2hrs i,ve lost my exwife said, i came in the house played with the G-kids and started water for a bath,played with them till there mother came &  got them, took a bath came out set on the sofa watching a show she went across the street to friends and came back, thats when she said we started fighting and i choked her she called the police i went to jail. how do i find out for my self what happened?, (HELP) TOM

Why on earth did you waste your money seeing a hypnotist, who could not conceivably be of the faintest use in such a situation, whatever phoney claims he/she may have made ? Seeing a psycghiarist or neurologist, who regularly do effectively invesitate and manage blackouts and related problems, would have made some sense. If you were not, for whatever reason, recording memories during the blank period, nothing will recover memories of that time, and hypnosis has a high risk of recovering false memories, fitting whatever theory the hypnotist might fancy about what may have happened.
Presumably the children, friends, neighbours may be able to confirm her account of what happened, and would be far more relevant and accurate than any other source. Surely what you need is not to concentrate on vainly trying to force out a memory of those events ( which is like trying to find a way to play a musical track on a CD that simply wasn't recorded on that album ) --- but rather tom discover why the blackout occured, whether there is an underlyign condition needing treatment, and how to prevent further events of this type ?

1
Posted by: anon W | 2008/08/13

Hi Tom
my husband had this recurently! i did some research and think he has a dissociative disorder. our therapist is however reluctant to diagnos this as she hasnt seen the disorder in action.

It is scarey to imagine - i know it took me and my husband years to figure it out.

Single ocurances are called dissociative fugue states - were you are so stressed that you cannot deal with life so conciously ' check-out'  and loose memory of those hours.

Reply to anon W