Question
Posted by: John | 2010/07/25

I got this odd horrible feeling behind my right eye

I got this odd horrible feeling behind my right eye. One night I was trying to fall a sleep and it felt like someone was scraping the back of my eye with a nail. The strangest thing is that when it eases i feel numb on the right side of my neck with an itchy feeling in my jaw. It almost feels as if someone is taking a string and pulling my bottom eye muscle down, I have been to an eye docotor and neurologist and nothing wrong. They will not give me an mri. Please has anyone had these symptoms. its killing me

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear John

It is impossible to spaculate as to a possible cause, but your symptoms could be caused by a problem with one of the cranial nerves in the head and neck area. The Neurologist would have excluded an obvious cause, as would have the opthalmologist. If your syptoms remain after all exclusions and conservative management, I would be inclined to recommend a MRI scan of the head and neck area from the skull base to the clavicals in order to exclude an anatomical cause. This should be done with special emphysis to the cranial nerves in that area, notebly the Trigeminal nerve. In 15% of cases, the MRI may find a cause.