Question
Posted by: Monica Janson | 2010-12-06

I feel resentment towards my bosses

I’ m 25 years old and I’ ve been working at the same company since I was 21 (so in January it will be four years). I’ m the youngest employee here but I’ ve been working here for the longest. I just don’ t feel respected and I don’ t know if it’ s just because I’ m young and I don’ t know better or because they really don’ t appreciate me. Now I would say I have one of the most important jobs in the company- I am solely responsible for updating the cashbooks and sending out the statements to all our 3000 customers. The other worker is forever asking me to help her with her work and lately I’ ve been more blunt about the fact that I can’ t and she then gets upset with me but she passed a lot of her work onto me which I do monthly (which my boss is pleased that I am doing) and I am doing other little bits and pieces for my bosses wife (who supposabley works for the company too but my boss is always doing her work) and other people in the office. The thing is, I am earning just over R6000 BEFORE tax. I feel for the amount of work I am doing, this is a joke and so do my friends and family. I thought next year would be better for me because my boss said that he will get his car transferred into the company name so I can use it to visit sites and start learning how do to other things (as I have been doing the same thing for all this time) BUUUUUUUUUT him and his wife then traded in his car for a big brand new BMW!!!!! Now my boyfriend and I have been having the most horrible year financially and with cars (we’ ve been screwed out of R30k so far, not to mention the costs of my car) so I feel a bit angry about this (because if I was earning more then we wouldn’ t have made the choices we did). EVERYONE else in the office is having car problems and my bosses wife made a joke about feeling bad about buying the car now because we all have problems and the other people told her that she deserves a new car! I don’ t know, maybe I’ m too young to understand, but WE are the ones earning their money, we work HARD to make sure we do a good enough job to keep the business and I don’ t even earn that much (the only person who earns less that me has only been here for about a year, but her starting salary was more than mine) but they go out and buy a brand new flippin car???!!!! We don’ t even get 13th cheques at the end of the year (we got a small bonus last year). They buy their food from Woolworths, the wife shops at Queenspark, they are busy taking out their carpets and doing wooden floors and here I am without a car (I sold it and I have put the money with my savings to try get another one in better condition), my boyfriend and I have never been on holiday because we can’ t afford it, we don’ t even go out and here they are flaunting their lifestyle? I know my boss works very hard but he is very soft with his wife so she practically rules his brain so what she says, he does. I don’ t know, maybe I’ m just stupid. I don’ t even know if this is worth moaning about.

Excellent advice from Maria and purple. Read it carefully and thoughtfully.

12
Posted by: To Haw | 2010-12-08

Good for you !!!!!!| I did hear that GP pays about 40% more than KZN. And then to top it all.... everything from housing to food is between 20 and 40% more expensive here in KZN !!

Oi.... the sacrifices to live in the slow lane by the sea....

Reply to To Haw
Posted by: Haw | 2010-12-08

I''m in GP..and I only have one finance degree.You see, one''s earning ability is not entirely dependant on powerfull qualifications but also how hard you work and how good you are. As for me,I have demanded my place in my company and earned respect among my peers and trust me,I''''m no pushover and have a very strong personality which why I have managed to land a management position at 26. Yes, my car instalment including insurance is close to R10k. I''m not bragging but telling you coz you asked in a way and to motivate my Sister, Monica.

Reply to Haw
Posted by: To Haw | 2010-12-08

In which province do you work? Not KZN I am sure. Do you work for the government? How many degrees do you have? R6000 your car payment !!!
WOW, in my company (International/global) a 25 year old cash book clerk with Grade 12 earns around R4 500 per month (before tax)..................

Reply to To Haw
Posted by: Haw | 2010-12-07

This is terrible and I do not imagine anyone (25) surviving on that salary. Ok I got one question, do you have a degree or some formal qualification? If not, one way to improve your lifestyle would be to invest in education. I''m 26 and R6000 is not even my car installment!!! Kufanele ubhukule Sisi.

Reply to Haw
Posted by: QQ | 2010-12-07

Tip, look for something else. You have too much resentment for the wife and their money. Not gonna work.

By the way. R6000 is a good pay for a Cash Book Clerk. The rest of the stuff you do is obviously done on a volentary basis so you will not get paid for that. If you hate it and its not on your job description, don''t do it....

Reply to QQ
Posted by: Monica Janson | 2010-12-06

Hi Truth, I''m not a jealous person at all. And perhaps if I were earning enough to save enough money to start my own business I would. It just sucks when I get told one thing and a different thing happens (there have been a few cases where the company hasn''t been ''financially able'' to do things as simple as a new keyboard for my co-worker and myself). I haven''t enjoyed doing the same thing for all these years and when I was told there was an opportunity for me to move up only to have it taken away really sucks. I guess until someone else is in my shoes no one will understand what I''m feeling.

Reply to Monica Janson
Posted by: Truth | 2010-12-06

Remember the risk is all on the owner, his assets are probably security for the business.If the company goes under he would probably loose everything, all you would loose is your job.
Many people would probably be thankful for 6000 per month.
You come across as a very jealous person - if you want a new car ,food from Woolworths and wooden floors start your own company.

Reply to Truth
Posted by: Monica Janson | 2010-12-06

Thank you for the advice. Purple, as I mentioned, I do a lot more than just the cashbooks and I did have a look at cashbook clerks (as per your advice) and I see starting salaries are at least R2000 more than my current salary. I didn''t mean to come across as whiney, I was just venting. As I mentioned I know my boss works very hard, I guess it''s more the wife that irritates me. They started the company two years before I started working and I''ve seen my boss doing all the worrying- in fact the wife moans at me should I dare to work 30 minutes after work (even though I don''t even think about claiming overtime and when I do work approved overtime I don''t get paid for it). Anyway, I think next year I''m going to look for something else. Thanx!

Reply to Monica Janson
Posted by: Purple | 2010-12-06

I think the first thing you need to fix is your attitude towards your work.

A cash book clerk is indeed a cog in the wheel of an important function, but there is no job function that is the most important one in a company, and if there was, a cash book clerk would not be it.

Have a look at ads in the paper to give you an idea of what cash book clerks earn. I think you''re earning a market related salary for what you do.

If you so resent working for someone else (who has put their necks and finances on the line to start the business and who has the sleepless nights when there are problems and who takes decisions you can''t even imagine the serioussnes of and who deals with all the staffs various issues) then by all means go and start your own business. Nobody is forcing you to stay in the job, find another one and resign if you don''t like it.

However, if you like working there, and feel that you have been putting in a lot of effort and aren''t being rewarded adequately, then make an appointment to see your boss and go armed with evidence of all that you do above and beyond what is required in the job and ask if you could have a salary increase. The worst that can happen is that they say no - they won''t actually eat you alive for asking, however, if you go in with the whinig you have used in this posting - you are asking for a no.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Maria | 2010-12-06

Try to find out what people in other companies with a role comparable to yours earn. You must have a specific, realistic figure in mind if your boss asks you what you think you should be earning.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Maria | 2010-12-06

Typically in a situation like this you will be paid as little as you are willing to accept. Make a list of all your duties and ways in which you feel you benefit the company. Then ask your boss for a meeting and calmly tell him that you think you are a valued employee, for these reasons, and you do not feel you are being adequately renumerated. If he doesn''t offer you a decent raise, start looking for another job.

Reply to Maria