Question
Posted by: Katie | 2011/10/11

I feel I wasted my money now part 2

Thank you for all the replies.

I posted on the Cyberdoc section too  maybe he will be able to explain my tests properly to me as my doc seems to be very unavailable all of a sudden. My problem is extreme fatigue, as in falling asleep at like 20:30 fatigue, napping more than once during the day on weekends, waking up then going back to bed 2 hours later fatigue. I told the doctor that I am iron deficient, and that is all the tests picked up (apparently nothing wrong with my liver, thyroid or kidneys). It’ s not low enough for me to be anemic, but if that is the case why am I so tired?

That’ s not the only problem- I have a lot of trouble concentrating, my memory is like a sieve and I can’ t remember silly things like what happens in a movie I watched recently, or something that I told someone two hours ago (I repeat myself three times sometimes). I do have other physical symptoms and they match a lot of hypothyroidism symptoms but yeah, the thyroid is fine apparently. So yeah, the fact that my iron problem is confirmed is just telling me what I already knew. All the doctor has done is prescribed Ferrimed, even though I told her I have taken iron supplements and molasses before and it hasn’ t really helped.

Being 24, you can imagine how much of a bummer this is for me because I cannot stay awake late enough to do anything really with friends (I basically work, go home, feed myself and my animals and go to bed). Even when I do go out and manage to stay up to like 23:00, when I want to go home there is ‘ playful’  bantering about me being tired. It is disappointing and it is depressing me a bit.

Some symptoms point very clearly to one or a very few likely causes, and are easier to investigater and siagnose. Some, and fatigue is one of them, can be caused by dozens of different possible causes, and it can be difficult to clarify cause and best management.
The situation you decribe sounds more like mine at present, but more appropriate to my age than to yours at 24 ! I hope they get to the bottom of it soon.

5
Posted by: Katie | 2011/10/14

As it turns out, it may be my kidneys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all your replies. :)

Reply to Katie
Posted by: saren | 2011/10/11

hi there
i was and am still going through exactly the same thing, i am 32, have two little kids and trying to complete my degree and this is just no on, i went to dr and blood test came back normal though a little iron deficient, by saturday i cudnt get out of back he told hubby to take me to Casualty, they wanted to admit me to run more tests, but i cudnt as i had an overseas trip the next friday.in the meantime i went to a specialist physician, who said it could be coxsackie virus(picked up from trolleys etc) and lasts for like 3 months, no medication it has to run its course, well i am still like that after two months, and i got exams in 2 weeks, Gosh i dont know what else to do, my dr has now prescribed viathion, which i just sleep through anyway, btw i am hypothyroid for years but this is undercontrol.

Reply to saren
Posted by: Me | 2011/10/11

Ask your doctor to test you for Epstein-Barr Virus. It took doctors 3 years to diagnose my sister. Very fatigue and muscle and joint pain.

Reply to Me
Posted by: Unique | 2011/10/11

Ask is they can''t give you iron injections. It did wonders for me. I was not responding to Ferrimed (tablets) but injections (I think it''s also ferimed) did wonders for me. they inject one a week for 5 weeks.

Reply to Unique