Question
Posted by: Katie | 2011/10/10

I feel I wasted money now.

I’ m so upset. As if I don’ t feel bad enough every time I spend money on a new shirt or something (which is far and few), I feel now that I’ ve just wasted R800 on blood tests just for them to tell me something that I already know. And it doesn’ t even solve my problem. I am so despondent right now I don’ t even feel like going to gym (where I have to pay for my membership by card/ cash because my stupid bank messed up my debit order with them). I was hoping that all the tests would give me a proper answer to my problem, not just confirm what I already know!!! I know deep down it was better for me to spend the money to eliminate any other possibilities, but it still doesn’ t help. I feel like crying now. It’ s not like I even have the money to spend but I always told myself I wouldn’ t skimp on medical stuff. I’ m just venting, you don’ t even have to answer.

Obviously you have been seriously disappointed, though you don't provide enough details to help us understand exactly what went wrong. Apparently you were experiencing some symptoms and health worries, and went to see a doc who, whatever he didn, didnt answer the concerns you had and didn't solve your problem(s).
The reactions you describe sound like depression, and I wonder whether that might be a significant part of the problem, especially as depression and anxiety can both cause physical symptoms entirely on their own, but can also amplify minor physical symptosm from physical causes that aren't in themselves severe, to a degree that they're much more unpleasant and frightening.
I do notice from the stories we hear here, that some docs do seem to do far too many tests, including expensive ones, that aren't really rationally likely to be helpful, and are actually wasteful and worsen the situation.
I'm not sure what you mean by the phrase you repeat, darkly, that they only confirmed "what you already know". Sometimes this is helpful, sometimes not. At least if alternative explanations for the situation have been rules out, that can be useful, and you know what needs to be focussed on to try to solve the problems.
You don't mention what it is that "you already know" - but surely there is an appropriate expert to help you deal with that, whether an expert on physical or psychological matters ?

3
Posted by: Realist | 2011/10/11

I take up on the comment that CS made. You do not mentioned what you " already knew"  about your bloodtest. Maybe its what you already knew that is worrying you ?

Reply to Realist

Posted by: Liza | 2011/10/10

I know exactly how you feel. My one kitty was injured a while ago, and even though I took him to the vet TWICE, they couldn''t clear up the infection in his paw. So I went and googled instead. Used hot saline compresses twice a day and antiseptic ointment after cleaning it. A week of this treatment and his wound wasn''t infected anymore and the wound had closed. R800 wasted at a useless vet! He really didn''t need all those antibiotics and anti-inflammatories!

Sometimes these things happen I suppose. It''s just really upsetting...

Reply to Liza