Question
Posted by: Mimi | 2012/03/29

I don''t want to cook

This is a real problem for me. I don''t want to cook dinner. I start work very early, work for about 8 hours a day, make sandwiches for lunch but when it comes to dinner I don''t want to cook. I am not young, I am overweight, my last histology test showed symptoms of starvation. I don''t eat meat, just chicken and fish sometimes. I''ll eat if we go out to dinner or buy takeaways. Do you have any suggestions? Or am I just too tired?

Well, there's no known medical or psychiatric disorder that causes one to not want to cook. But some might be relevant. I think you're saying that you start the day very early, work long and hard, and don't feel the energy or motivation to cook for yourself in the evening.
I have never heard of a histology test that would show signs of starvation, especially not in someone who is over-weight and eating reasonbly, so I'd be very curious to know what sort of doctor carried out and interpreted this bizarre test.
It definitely sounds as though you are tired, and maybe need the advice of a good dietician to plan a good and practical diet. Even when you get takeaways there are items to choose that are much healthier than others. And similarly at a restaurant. And on your own, there are tasy and healthy salds and meals you can get from good stores like Woolworths that take little or no special preparation and are quickly ready to eat.
If the peculiar testing was carried out by a GP, maybe you should see a specialist in general internal medicine and a dietician, for better expert advice. Make sure you're not anaemic ( its rather easy for women to become iron-deficiency anaemic, and its easy to remedy ). Make sure you get enough fruit and veg, which can often be enjoyed with little preparation and without cooking.
Amd excellent suggestions from the other readers who have commented.

5

Posted by: Purple | 2012/03/30

Why don''t you eat fruit, and raw veg like carrots dipped in hummus and other suppers that you don''t have to cook? These are filling, can be nibbled on while you relax and watch TV and don''t require hours of preparation. You can also make a green salad and add tuna and low fat mayonaise - delicious. A baked potato that you do in the microwave and add a variety of raw or warmed toppings to is also filling and yummy. You can also one weekend a month cook two or three different meals in portions big enough for 4 people and then divide them up and freeze them so that you just need to defrost them in the evenings - no cooking. Try and find out if there are any stay at home moms in your area supplementing their income by freezing home cooked meals and selling them - buying these will be easy and cheaper than take aways and a lot less fattening and just require defrosting and warming up.

Take aways will make you put on a lot of weight - they should be a treat, not an every day thing.

Eating take aways also means you won''t be getting in enough fruit and veg and the various nutrients you need, which is what is making you so exhausted and run down. The only way to change this is to change your lifestyle.

Why don''t you contact a dietician for some ideas to get you started?

when you do your bulk cook on a weekend, pop some eggs in while boiling pasta so that you have some pre-boiled eggs for a healthy breakfast some days of the week or to take with to work to eat for lunch. Save yourself time when packing work lunches by packing fruit or packet soups or two minute noodles and having sandwiches less often.

Instant oats and cereals like all bran flakes are also nice breakfast options. I eat my breakfast at work as I can''t eat with my children as I am having to feed the baby and listen to lengthy conversation in an interested manner from my other child, so I just shove it all in a cooler bag with my lunch and eat it all at work.

I''m also exhausted at the end of hte day, but my husband and I thankfully split the cooking. I do mine in bulk and freeze it, he does his on his evenings.

Have you got a friend or colleague you could do some food swaps with - where you make a few portions of food over weekends for freezing and each swap three meals?

Reply to Purple

It''s really doesn''t matter if you WANT to or not, you HAVE to, especially if your body is showing signs of starvation.

I think there are a lot of people who feel the same way over many different things. I don''t want to do the dishes every day and I cringe at the thought of having to take a shower when I get up in the middle of the winter, but I do it anyway because I know I have to.

You know that your body needs to take in small portions of food throughout the day to stay healthy, just like you need X amount sleep every day, so grit your teeth and do what you have to do to stay healthy.

Posted by: Megs | 2012/03/29

I’ m sorry, but the take-aways are contributing to your being overweight, which in turn contributes to the tiredness. It’ s not like you have a genuine problem, if your results do not show an iron shortage or something. Your day sounds exactly like mine, and like thousands of other people who work full days. I sometimes am at work for more than 10 hours a day. I sometimes only eat at 20:00 because that is when supper is done. And I have a bad iron shortage (less than half the normal amount, according to my results).

I would suggest you contact one of those “ cook for you”  services and pay them to cook and deliver healthy foods for you until you are in a position where you don’ t feel too tired to do it yourself. Otherwise, plan SIMPLE meals (like macaroni and cheese, toasted sandwiches, hamburgers, fish and chips- they don’ t take much effort at all to make). Last option, do a bulk cook on a Sunday. Cook up meats and veggies, freeze them and just take them out before you leave for work.

You are heading for disaster if you do not change your habits, and kind words is not going to help you at all.

Oh, and another things- exercise. If you are not eating healthy, and not exercising on top of it you are REALLY not doing yourself any favours. Even if you just start with a walk around the block everyday, or climb up and down a flight of stairs a few times- you have to do something. Buy an exercise bike or treadmill, then just start off slowly on those.

Reply to Megs
Posted by: ehhe | 2012/03/29

Get off your lazy fat behind and cook!!!!!

Reply to ehhe