Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2010/07/02

I don''t know why I''m not losing weight/ body fat.

Hi Doc, I''m not overweight but I have a lot of exess fat. I do a guaranteed 1 hour exercise (walking) 5 days a week (sometimes I do up to an hour and a half- I add some other type of exercise). But despite this, I was gaining weight. So I tried cutting down on meal sizes and calories, hoping that my body would start eating its own fat. What I do is a eat breakfast (2 wheatbix''s with a tablespoon or two of sugar, or two pieces of toast) and a cup of coffee, throughout the day at work I eat about 125mls of granola, for lunch a eat a 125ml jar of baby food (the fruit flavours) and then supper is as normal (but I''ve tried to cut down on portion size) with a cp or two of tea. I drink a mug of green tea before I go to bed, and I add half a teaspoon of cinnamon to my baby food. I don''t use a lot of oil when cooking (it''s gross) and I try eat more white than red meat. I cut out snacks as much as possible and on weekends I relax a bit (but I don''t go overboard). I also drink 2 litres of water during the day. Despite this, I have not lost a single kilogram. I have been doing this for a month now and NOTHING.

Dear Mandy
If you are not overweight then your body may resist additional weightloss. You may also be insulin resistant which would hamper weightloss. I think you should consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assess your present weight and body fat and may prescribe a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet for you to help you lose weight if this is necessary. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI.
Keep up the good work with the exercise as this helps to control body fat and also improves your health.

3
Posted by: Mandy | 2010/07/05

Thanks Shelly and DietDoc- I googled insulin resistance and the symptoms and I have practially every single one of them so I will most definitely be getting the right help now. Thank you!!!!

Reply to Mandy

Dear Mandy

Posted by: Shelley | 2010/07/02

Hi there - for what its worth I was battling with the same sort of thing, been for blood test after blood test this year eventually went to a homeopath in jhb ( drove up there to see a great doc who cured my child) he diagnosed me with insulin resistant"  - no tests just a quick look at your eyes - my son being ADHD is on the feingold diet - and I am now on the same - its fantastic for the whole family. its really about back to basic''s no processed food and no additives /colourants at all - which means no baby food either for you. I''d suggest you try going to a homeopath - they relatively in expensive and their medicines cure the cause not the symptom as general GP''s do. u are welcome to contact me via mail if you want more info - hope this helps.

Reply to Shelley