Question
Posted by: Moedeloos | 2012/02/20

I dont know anymore

I am at my wits ends. April last year I quit smoking. i did this previously and picked up about 15 kg''s which I only lost after i started smoking again, so I knew I had to some major exercise and eat properly to make sure the same doesnt happen again this time around. I bought an exercise bike in July (which i trained on about 5 days a week for 30- 45 minutes), got a stability ball in Sept (which i used for exercise 3 days a week) and I revamped my eating habits. I still managed to pick up around 7 kgs. December i took a bit of a break from all the training and picked up another two kilos. I found a great gym strength training plan in january and started training: cardio (10 minutes), strength training (40 minutes) and another 10 minutes cardio - i do this 4 days a week and then maybe another 1 day of pure cardio when I get the opportunity. The problem is i am no loosing ANY weight. I lost a few cm''s in the beginning, but for the last 3 months also no more. What can be wrong. I eat small frequent meals, exercise - everything that you are told to do, but NOTHING is happening.... I am 1.68, and i now weight 70 kg''s. I am 32, female.

Dear Moedeloos
Firstly, congratulations on stopping smoking. This will have a highly beneficial effect on your health all round. It is unfortunate that people who do stop smoking tend to gain some weight. This is due to the ironic fact that you are metabolising your food more efficiently now that you don't smoke anymore! Then there is also the problem that stopping smoking may make one crave for additional oral satisfaction and this can increase the tendency to want to nibble. Please read the article on 'Stopping smoking' by clicking on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and doing a Search for 'Stopping smoking'. You may find some additional tips that can help. I think that you have already done so much to counteract the weight gain that you deserve a medal. Your current BMI = 24.8 which is still within the normal range, but I can understand that you would like to lose those 7 kg that you gained. One factor which needs to be kept in mind, is that muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue, so you may weigh more because of developing so much muscle tissue with all your exercise, but your body fat content will have decreased. Please also keep check of your progress by measuring your 'vital statistics' which will show when you lose fat, even when your weight on the scale remains constant.
Please don't be 'moedeloos' because you have shed a harmful addiction and also become extremely fit

1

Dear Moedeloos