Posted by: Ann | 2011-11-09

I don''t have a bowl movement everyday, please help

Hi Doc, please can u recommend something I can get over the counter to help me go to the toilet more often, currently i only go every four to five days sometimes longer. I eat three good meals a day so I don''t know why i don''t go more often.

I suggest that you supplement your diet with fibre sachets and a good probiotic, like ProbiFlora intensive no. 9. These products are available over the counter. You can also ask your pharmacist for a product like Movicol, which is an osmotic laxative that can be taken for an extended period.

If your constipation does not alleviate whilst taking this medication, I suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist for an examination.

Posted by: Joseph Mulenga Chomba | 2011-11-15

It could be that your diet comprises more of polished cerials like white rice. Try adding a maize comb to your menu at least one per day and I am sure you will not need to take any laxatives.

Reply to Joseph Mulenga Chomba
Posted by: Nana | 2011-11-14

I use to have the same problem until I come across the water therapy. Before you brush your teeth every morning, drink 3-4 glasses of water (preferably warm) on an empty stomach. I guarantee you will go to the loo afterwards, and will never experience your problem again. It has other benefits as well. I do the water therapy everyday and it helps.

Reply to Nana
Posted by: saly | 2011-11-12

hi docter
my name is saly , am get marreied for 11 months and we wont children right now we plan after 2 year or one and half year to conceive , my question is we are doing normal prevent pregnancy is this has bad side ? if we trying to preganant after 2 years is that posible facing problem ?

Reply to saly
Posted by: noeksie | 2011-11-09

Drink lemon juice with warm water every morning. Starting the day with the juice of a lemon in a glass of warm water will stimulate your digestive system.

I also have the same problem as you and decided to try the warm water &  lemon and it works.

Reply to noeksie
Posted by: Simple adviser | 2011-11-09

Hi Ann, it could just be that you eat to many fibres at that( wheat pix, bread, etc) wich causes some what of constipation. do you have any symptoms for eg. like nausious, cramps swollen stomach. wel you could judt go get laytax wich helps in releasing stools more often. but do take care in not taking to many unless you have consulted a docter first to see what the main cause is of ur lack of releasing adequite stools

Reply to Simple adviser
Posted by: Ann | 2011-11-09

Also, when I pass wind, it smells very bad.

Reply to Ann