Question
Posted by: Haylee | 2010/03/17

I don’ t know why I’ m hungry

Hello, I get extremely hungry and crave sweets or chocolate or chips or whatever at night and I don’ t understand why. I eat breakfast which usually consists of toast with/ without some granola or cereal, then about 3 or 4 pro-vitas at around 10am. I have lunch at around 1pm then a small something to eat after work at about 6pm. I have supper with my husband when he gets home at about 7pm and then I just get so hungry sometimes I can’ t stop eating! I have a cup of coffee/ tea in the morning with my breakfast, a 250ml bottle of water when I get to work, another 250ml bottle of water with half a Pharmaton Fizzi tab with my mid-morning snack, then a 500ml bottle of juice with lunch and then a 250ml bottle of water before leaving the office. Then I have some juice with supper and a cup of tea/ coffee later so I don’ t think I’ m confusing being thirsty with being hungry. I do a 20 minutes walk twice a day. Do appetite suppressants work?

Dear Haylee
I think the reason why you are getting so hungry at night is that you are not eating enough and that you need to include more low-GI foods with your meals (e.g. low-fat yoghurt or milk with breakfast, as your snack at 4 pm (not 6 pm). Having 3-4 servings of fat-free or low-fat milk, yoghurt or cottage cheese a day will not only improve your calcium intake which is important for health, but it will also keep your blood sugar levels steady and help with weightloss. Please check with your pharmacist if the Pharmaton Fizzi tablet is not stimulating your appetite, because some of these supplements do have this effect. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI.

1

Dear Haylee