Posted by: diane | 2009-03-12

i do not sleep well ever

Hi there. I would like to know whether this can be passed down - a genetic disorder. I do not sleep well. I read at night until I am really tired, I do not battle to fall asleep, but always wake up at least three times a night between 11 and 5 am. I am 48 years old and not overly stressed. my daughter is 26 and is complaining of the same problem lately- she wakes up often at night. There do not seem to be any underlying problems that either of us have. Do some people just suffer with sleeping well at night, on a long term basis? i do not feel too bad during the day - and do manage to go back to sleep again - but guaranteed every night I wake up!
Could you give me your opinion please?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

It is hard to give an opinion without examining you. There are certainly some of the sleep disorders which have a genetic basis, but some are based, for example, on bad habits, which can be passed from parent to child. Most of the sleep disorders can be helped by someone who understands the conditions.