Question
Posted by: Concerned Mom | 2012-05-09

I can''t do this anymore

Hi CS. I can''t believe I''m back telling you the same story again..........my daughter was the one with post natal pshycosis, then diagnosed with BiPolar and admitted 3 times to pshyc ward in a period of about 16 months)

I am really struggling through this thick mist that has now become my life. My daughter took an overdose on Friday evening, and we again are at the beginning of the healing journey. She is back in the Pshyciatric facility.

As a mother, I am so terrified, while at the same time exhausted running around trying to catch this " Humpty Dumpty"  and stopping it from falling and smashing into a thousand pieced. Evidently I''m not doing a very good job because it keeps cracking? I know you are not able to tell me when we will ever get out of the starting blocks, as you don''t know her as a patient, but I''m just so tired and am physically and emotionally " finished"  but trying to stay strong for her, but I''m no longer able to do that. My guard is coming down, and I''m scared that this will trigger her when she realises that her support structure is collapsing around her.

Her pshyc is now transitioning her from Epitec 550g/day to 1000g/d Lithium in an attempt to lift the depression. I also believe that it is in an endeavour to stop the massive weight gain. She has gained around 45kg, and obviously this is also feeding the depression.

I guess I just need someone to tell me that there is going to come a time when this is all goin to be OK?

So sorry to hear this, CM. Remember how much responsibility your daughter must carry for her own decisions, and also how much the doctors must share with her. You're still doing a good job - If Humpty is unusually fragile, its not your fault if he cracks occasionally. Your message is a good reminder that proper professional care for someone as seriously ill as your daughter, must include care for the caregivers at home.
Things will get sorted out eventually ; nobody said it would be easy or quick, and you will have played a vital role in reaching any success that is achieved

1