Posted by: Just Me | 2011-04-26

I cant afford this anymore :-(

What do I do? We have no kids and LITTLE money from the sale of a house. We started divorce proceedings 2 YEARS AGO! He verbally settled in December - I get 1/4 of the money. Now - 5 months later - his lawyer says she hasnt received any settlements - we have HAND DELIVERED among other ways - and she and the ex just dont get back to my lawyers.
Court date is set for end July 2011. HOW MUCH IS THIS GOING TO COST ME?? I earn less than 3 digets a month. I have no savings. I have paid my lawyer +R50.000.00 - for NOTHING! I dont want to go to court - I heard it can cost anything from R25.000.00 a day - I CANT AFFORD THAT! What can I do???? Im now counting on that 1/4 Im getting to pay off debt - WHAT DO I DO????? Please help!

Expert ImageDivorce support expert

You have all the indications that your divorce should have been finalised a long time ago. Your attorneys sound like they have been stretching your case for their own gain and you have every right to report them.
You should contact your local legal aid clinic to assist you in finalising your divorce.

All the best.

Posted by: FIO | 2011-05-03

Who filed for divorce? I agree that attorneys, especially on his side, are delaying the matter for financial gain. No reason at all why this should still be hanging on a threat waiting to be finalized.

All letters should be registered, and copies should be faxed through as proof of delivery. I even recommend emailing them as extra proof of delivery and receipt. Your attorney should give you copies, and you should then have the opportunity to also send them, once again a double check. Most attorneys dont give you copies, oddly enough. They write all these letters, say they''ve sent them, but what do they give you as proof?

So, ask your attorney for all letters, all proof of delivery or receipt etc. Then there should be no excuses from ex''s attorney.

Reply to FIO