Posted by: Bee | 2009-02-16

I can' t believe my diagnosis...

So nice to have you back. To make an extreme long story short, I was diagnosed with Bipolar II last week by a pshiciatrist, which does make a lot of sense, seeing that I' ve alwyas been severly " up &  down" . I' ve bene on anti-depressants and he said it only helps for le lows butnot the hypomanic episodes.

But its like I just can' t believe it! Like you think it happens to crazy people. My friend is a shrink and she said she thinks I have a mood disorder but not bipolar cause I don' t have heavy maniac episodes and does hectic crazy stuff. who do I believe?

Please could all the other bipolar II readers respond and tell me what they experience being bipolar II?

Thanks, good to be back, though it was sad to visit my Durban flat which had been vandalized and cleaned out by burglars.
OK, a proper diagnosis of bipolar disorder can be usefu;. And yes, antidepressants are valuablle in managing the depressions and lows, but not the highs nor the general mood swings. Other meds including mood stabilizers, can be very valuable here. Both you and your friend ( who doesn;t sound very experienced ) seem to misunderstand Bipolar Disorder. Firstly, it IS a major mood diorder. and secondly most bipolars don't do "hectic crazy stuff". The criteria used to amke sucgh a diagnosis are internationally agreed, so if the assessment was done in the usual way, the diagnosis should be clear. There's no guess work involved

Posted by: drugs | 2009-02-16

bipolar seems to be over diagnoised at the moment, from what ive heard...truth be told shrinks have no idea half the time they just watch your behaviour and then guess...match you with a symptom

psychiatry has alot to be desired.

have a beer and forget about it :-)

Reply to drugs