Posted by: ANGIE | 2009-02-16

I am to skinny

Good afternoon Doc

I am 27 years old, have 2 children aged 9 and 1. When I was in school, I was perfect (for myself). Then I fell pregnant when I was 18 and gave normal birth, but since then I am struggling to gain weight. I have been smoking since I was 14, so it is definetly not that. I go for my yearly checkup, and they say nothing is wrong. I feel like going to my GP and removing my Thyroid, because I really think that is the case. What can damage you thyroid?

Dear Angie
I would urge you to stop smoking because this is not only highly detrimental to your overall health, but is probably one of the reasons why you can't gain normal weight. So do try to stop ASAP. If you suspect that you have an overactive thyroid have a checkup with your medical dr and ask him/her to test your thyroid function. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.