Posted by: Zoenieka | 2011-02-08

I am starting to think I am dying

Hi Dr,
Im 30 years old, female, hopefully healthy, I dont smoke or drink and I havent eaten meat, fish or chicken since I was 7. Anyhow the last few years I have been going downhill. I get terrible headaches ( pills help atleast) I get chest pains lately, they come and go and on a scale of 1 to 10 the pain is a 10, sometimes i cant even walk upright from pain. I have gotten them sitting at my desk typing on my pc doing no excersise and I get these chest pains and I think this is it I am going to die then I call my husband he takes me to the emergency room where the doctors are a bunch of Kwaks. They have given me from anitbiotics, i am sure i have tried all kinds of antibiotics by now, one doctor sent me home with a box of sleeping pills, I am still not sure if they were meant for me to sleep better or calm my nervs down from the fear of dying. I have been put into icu so many times on drips and injections around my belly button and monitors sometimes my heart beats up to 181 times a minute. I can literally feel my heart beating in my chest when it beats so fast. The last few weeks I feel so tired, I am constantly short of breath I am irritated its even too much effort to even wash my hair lately as I am too out of breath. Nothing has helped for the chest pain and I am now at the stage where I refuse to have my husband take me to the emergency room as they will only send me home with some anti biotic or some other pills, Oh, one doctor gave me phenergran or something like that they dont take the pain in my chest away but 3 of them knocks me out and then I atleast sleep throug the pain but my worries are that a normal person shouldnt be having any chest pain at all. Sometimes I start sweating like a farmyard animal when I have these pains. I have been diagnosed with barlows disease and svt, i know both are heart conditions, hopefully but why is it that in so much pain and so much medical aid money spent on the er is there not one single doctor that can actually take an interest and try to fix whatever is causing this pain. I have been to two different private hospital emergency rooms and up to date I have not been satisfied with any treatment as no treatment has worked up to date. Surely something is causing this pain, and surely it can be fixed. Please help me.

Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011-02-09

Posted by: Anon | 2011-02-08

Hi Zoenika

have they checked your iron levels, as this can cause heart palpitations, out of breath and extreme fatigue aswell, been suffering from it for years, and take the meds, but still comes and goes, and it is a horrible feeling. Hang in there

Posted by: CD | 2011-02-08

Hallo Zoenika
The site that I usually answer on is not working, hence my answering here. Have you ever been to a cardiologist for a full examination? ( ECG, heart sonar, angiogram if needed). If they can find no problem with your heart you may be suffering from esophageal spasms that can be very painful. Google Esophageal spasms Mayo clinic for more info. You may need to go for a gastroscopy or barium swallow to confirm the diagnosis. Discuss with your GP to refer you if you think this may be the problem.
dr Bets

Reply to CD