Question
Posted by: Maria | 2010-03-11

I am so messed up

Hey CS

I fell into a deep dark depressive hole again yesterday. I became enraged by something my 7 year old did and verbally and physically abused her. I spent the whole evening in tears. I feel wrung out, fragile.

Does it never stop? I''ve been on various ad''s and in therapy on and off for 8 years now, is this what life is like? I''m so tired of fighting this thing, of deciding that today will be a good day and then messing up again. I wish I could just disappear like a drop of water on a hot plate.

Ja, ja I know. See the p-doc, see the psychologist. I think I''ve outgrown my psychologist, should maybe see someone new. He and I know each other too well now. And as for the p-doc, I''m so fed up with meds that has side effects and you end up not knowing if your f''d up because of the depression or the meds side-effects or withdrawal symptoms.

Thanks for listening.

ps. Regarding your comment yesterday about kitty being unable to learn helplessness... I think they train humans into learned helplessness though... cannot ignore cries of hunger, cannot move because of furball sitting on lap, cannot remove furball from bed to sleep in comfort.

Life is, intermittently at least, more disappointing than we would wish, just as it is at other times, more satisfying than we expected. I wonder whether at times we place ourselves in greater discomfort by seeing our task as Fighting, as the metaphor of fighting suggests a struggle in which you or the foe must win or lose. Instead, I find it useful, with whatever chronic condition I live with, to see my task as one more of adaptation, of coping, of handling the worst patches as they arise, and enjoying the good days as they arise. I never Win in the sense of being free of the troubles, but neither do I ever altogether lose. Like the weather, I endure the very hottest and coldest days, knowing that more temperate days will also come along if I wait for them to arive.
I understand your feeling, but nobody as messed up as you feel, could be as warmly helpful to others as you consistently are, in the forum and beyond.
Sometimes one does indeed outgrow one's psychologis. Maybe that's why I prefer short-term therapy methods, as they apply a proven and established model and method and should produce some defined results within a relatively short time. If and when other troubles turn up, one can use a somewhat different approach or coach to deal with those. I still remain to be convinced that really long-term therapy of the analytic whiffly sort ever achieves much other than a refined form of learned helplessness.
And you're right, of course,about cats. I believe we can learn a lot from them. For one thing, they accept and indeed expect help, without a scrap of guilt. And they know the value of persistence.

2
Posted by: Maria | 2010-03-11

This could be Aropax withdrawal. And I guess I should count my blessings as Cymbalta withdrawal was so much worse. Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!

Reply to Maria