Question
Posted by: Zee | 2010/10/15

I am so hurt

I started working in this company last year and I found out there were certain things that they were doing incorrectly with he advise of a consultant who thinks she knows everything although she knows less. Our work is governed by legislation and because my manager listens to the consultant instead of looking at legislation before implementing process, and because this exposes him as being manager who knows nothing although there are books for him to read and that he has been here for years. Apparently before me there was a huge staff turnover because people were pointing out that the consultant is doing things incorrectly, and they decided to leave cause the manager was always on her side.

I am sad because I am happy with my position and I have never gloated, I point out something and then request for it to be changed or tell him that I won''t do it incorrecly and that would be the end of it. And I always discuss things with him first and if he was clever he would look at whatever and rectify instead he will tell me that it is a procedure that was agreed upon although when you you ask him he can''t tell you why. But the thing is law it is written all he has to do is read it and implement the correct thing.

Sorry this was long

Excellent and helpful response from LIZA, with whom I agree.
THe relationship between this determinedly incompetent boss and this apparently similarly incompetent "consultant" sounds decidedly fishy. Is their relationship entirely professional and business-like ?
Perhapsm it would be wise for you to make sure that your concerns including your worry that legally and otherwise required procedures are not being followed, are all very clearly documentd ( and with coppies of your letters / e-mails being kept by you, outside of the office ) - if he runs the compnay into serious, possibly even criminal problems, you don't want to be held in any way responsible for what they have been insisting on doing.

2

Posted by: Liza | 2010/10/15

Can you lodge a grievance with HR? Do your processes get audited? Because this is the kind of thing that independent auditors should be notified of when doing an audit. Do you know of any industry watchdog you could report this to? You don''t mention what industry you work in or how big your company is.

And your post isn''t long at all - IMHO it''s too short cause it doesn''t give enough info....

Reply to Liza