Posted by: NDA | 2011-07-08

I am really scared !

Doctor please help me. A few months back I had micro-haematuria and pain. There was no cause found after MANY tests, scans, sonars, xrays, CT''s. My urine throughout this has been quite clear (even the GP said this)...its like a lemondade colour, only slightly yellowi). Yesterday I started my periods and was in real pain as usual (but more). In the middle of the night I woke up to urinate and my urine was blood red - even the toilet paper was too. I did about 5 urinations and they were all the same, all red. Since this (now this afternoon), I have done 4 perfectly normal urinations. Now here comes the odd part, I ate about 4 whole beetroots last night (with the skin on, fresh not bottled) after cooking them, BUT doctor I know what that looks like as my stools normally go a PINK/PURPLE almost artificial colour after eating beetroot and I have NEVER had funny urine after eating a beetroot, IT WAS RED. How can my stool be purple and my urine red? Please doctor, am I dying of kidney, bladder, ureter or urethral cancer ? - I am so scared all the time of this and now I am beside myself with fear.

The discolouration of your urine is due to the beetroot that you ate. If you are however, still concerned, consult your doctor for a cystoscopy to visualise the urinary tract and bladder, in order to set your mind at ease.