Posted by: Dudu | 2009-02-20

I am every ones free therapist

How do I change this in a good way? I finally relaise I am all my family and some friends free shrink. Meaning they will talk about their problems for hours, I will listen ( try to with out judgement and if needed give advice that can help, but mostly I believe that talking and listenting is importent to help reliese anxiety to think clearly about a matter, so I listen.

But if I say something before finishing one sentence they will rudly personally try to insult. Like I will listen to hours, say"  something at work really mad me mad.. And I will be interupted being told I have to go see a therapist to sort myself out, etc. And usually they will insult me about the exact thing they have been complaining about. They leave feel better and I feel worse for hours.

My question: Is it not normal for people to listen to each other? Now that I realise this I tell them what they did. Should I stop listening when people start complaining about somehting neg and just say well go fix it? How do I handle this right with out having to listen for hours?

Maybe tell them you've just realized how much harm could come from giving amateur advice, so you're saving up to train as a counsllor, and in the meantime, you've shut up your consulting rooms. If they're so unappreicative and rude, even listening to them wouldn't be worth doing.