Question
Posted by: b.e. | 2011/05/04

i am a food addict

hi there.. i have been a food addict for 6 years. i''ve never admitted it to anyone. i was diagnosed at age 21 with type 1 diabetes.. i was a skinny happy person then with no psycological problems at all... suddenly i found myself with a million restrictions of all kinds, and food became an obsession in my mind, always thinking and worrying about the food that could mean my death... i was doing well with keeping my sugar right for about 6 months max... then i got depression. from all the restrictions i had. its not fair to live like that!!! i went for therapy and on anti-depressants which worked well, but you can''t stay on those forever... since then i stopped testing my sugar, coz it is always high and it makes me angry and scared. and i eat anything, all the time, by myself in secret.. i have chocolate/cookies/chips hidden EVERYWHERE!!! i eat all day, at least every half hour, i eat myself nauseous, and i eat myself broke, i''ve stolen food (alot), i''ve stolen money to buy food, i just can''t stop!!! and i feel so alone with this. and i''m scared that i will die or lose my legs or something with my diabetes being so out of control- i am totally out of control!!! i can''t tell my husband, he will never understand. he is a health freak and loves exercise and eating healthy... so i don''t really know what to do... any realistic suggestions would be welcomed xxx

Expert ImageAddictions expert

Hello there, thank you so much for your post
I can hear that you are really struggling and this all must be very frightening for you right now. We can help. I suggest that you book yourself into treatment for your eating disorder, we specialize in treating eating disorders here at Harmony. Its very apparent that your eating disorder has progressed and you are now powerless over your food and out of control. Additionally your eating disorder is affecting your medical condition which is life threatening. We can definitely help you to change your eating behaviour and lifestyle to become a happier, healthier more content person.

Please call Harmony Clinic on 021 790 7779 for more information.

Wishing you love and light
The Harmony Team

3
Posted by: Addictions expert | 2011/05/20

Wishing you love and light
The Harmony Team

Reply to Addictions expert
Posted by: b.e. | 2011/05/05

well i only weigh 55kg. but the reason i don''t get fat from all the food is because my blood sugar is so high that my cells are starving- i don''t know if u understand diabetes at all but my " sugar"  or food, basically doesn''t absorb into my system. so i''m not worried about getting fat- i''m worried about diabetic complications, and its just horrible to have food on the brain all day and all night long...

Reply to b.e.

What do you weigh?