Question
Posted by: b.e. | 2011/05/04

i am a food addict

hi there.. i have been a food addict for 6 years. i''ve never admitted it to anyone. i was diagnosed at age 21 with type 1 diabetes.. i was a skinny happy person then with no psycological problems at all... suddenly i found myself with a million restrictions of all kinds, and food became an obsession in my mind, always thinking and worrying about the food that could mean my death... i was doing well with keeping my sugar right for about 6 months max... then i got depression. from all the restrictions i had. its not fair to live like that!!! i went for therapy and on anti-depressants which worked well, but you can''t stay on those forever... since then i stopped testing my sugar, coz it is always high and it makes me angry and scared. and i eat anything, all the time, by myself in secret.. i have chocolate/cookies/chips hidden EVERYWHERE!!! i eat all day, at least every half hour, i eat myself nauseous, and i eat myself broke, i''ve stolen food (alot), i''ve stolen money to buy food, i just can''t stop!!! and i feel so alone with this. and i''m scared that i will die or lose my legs or something with my diabetes being so out of control- i am totally out of control!!! i can''t tell my husband, he will never understand. he is a health freak and loves exercise and eating healthy... so i don''t really know what to do... any realistic suggestions would be welcomed xxx

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello b.e.,
I am relieved that you are concerned enough to be posting this comment. I suspect that you are conscious of the fact that living in ignorance of your health condition is not going to make it disappear. I gather that you are very aware of the consequences of poorly managed diabetes and that you are going to face many handicaps if you do not responsibility in managing your diabetes or your eating disorder. I suggest that you resume therapy and see a dietician. Furthermore, it might be a good idea for you to consult with an endocrinologist to more specifically address your diabetes. Please email me if you would like some referrals in your area.
Regards,
Graham

3
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2011/05/15

Hello b.e.,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert
Posted by: FATTY | 2011/05/11

HI THERE, I ALWAYS USED TO TELL MYSELF THAT I LOVED MYSELF, WHEN I SAW IM GETTING BIGGER, BECAUSE I LOVE FOOD. NOW I AM WEIGHING 137.2KG AND I AM YOUNG GIRL TRNING 24 NEXT MONTH. EVERYDAY I TELL MYSELF I AM GOING TO QUIT EATING, DRINK MORE WATER AND SO ON... BUT WHEN I GET MYSELF , I AM EATING AGAIN, I JUST LOVE FOOD, AND CANT GET ENOUGH, I EAT UNTILL IT FEELS AS IF MY CHEST AND THROUGHT AND TUMMY WANTS TO BURST!, I JUST WANA LOOS WEIGHT, BUT STILL BE ABLE TO EAT. SUICIDE IS NEXT OPTION IF I CAN T LOOSE WEIGHT.

Reply to FATTY
Posted by: fellow addict | 2011/05/04

b.e.......you are definately not alone in this struggle! I know where you are coming from....it feels as if one is in a living hell. The harder one tries, the quicker one falls and it is back to square one again. I, too am scared of dying, but can''t get my eating under control. Normal eaters will not understand the sheer hell/guilt/disgust/self-hate we go through. Every day I start with the best of intentions but....

Reply to fellow addict