Question
Posted by: Dianne | 2012-06-07

Hystorectomy at 33

I have had a history of an abnormal pap test in the past which was at a level 2 pre cancerous. A recent test revealed that this level has now increased to a level 3 which I am told is the highest pre cancer level? I had a biopsy before in which the gynae believed all the cells had been removed. Interestingly I had a normal result pap test after the birth of my second child? The doctor has suggested I undergo a hystorectomy to remove the womb. I do not intent to have anymore children and there is no guarantee that a future pap test will not reveal a recurrence if another biopsy is done. Is there a possible alternative to having this done. My gynae has been with me through two pregnancies, an ectopic, a laporotomy, the crvical biopsy and then a stitch. I am completely trusting of him and he even suggested I go for a second opinion. He said no early menopause will be experienced as a result of the operation. I have already booked for the operation but would like to hear from others who may have been in a similar situation or recommendations for alternatives. I just don''t want to get to a point where it becomes cancerous.

The alternative is LLETZ - a large biopsy which removes the transformation zone of the cervix.

3
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-06-12

Posted by: Tanya | 2012-06-08

Diane, sorry to hear about abnormal pap test results. Quite scary I would imagine. My hysterectomy story is:-

For my 40th birthday present (having 3 children already), I booked a private ward, sent all children to Easter holiday camp, had my op and spent a glorious week of peace and quiet in the
hospital. I felt very blessed to be able to do it this way. It was an elected hysterectomy. I wanted it to be done vaginally but my gynae advised that IF things went wrong in the middle of the op he would have to cut - so thats how it was done. While in there he checked ovaries and found it necessary to remove only one. I have never looked back!!

Recovery time was 6 weeks and I followed his instructions to the T. Healing was trouble-free. Had my hormone levels checked regularly afterward - still do, and have had no problems at all.

Womens experiences are very varied. Go into this with a positive attitude and I wish you all the best.

Reply to Tanya
Posted by: Ads | 2012-06-08

I had similar problems to yours, except only 1 son. However, I was 32 when I had my hysterectomy. The gynae also advised me to have a vaginal hysterectomy as, according to her, the recovery rate was much quicker. Biggest mistake of my life! I had so many complications, had to have a blood transfusion, and ended up in hospital for 18 days. Still having problems 4 years later. Have also since changed gynae''s, and my new gynae have told me that she would not have done the hysterectomy at all. I do not mean to scare you in any way, as I realise mine was probably an isolated incident. But I would strongly advise you to have that second opinion. I sure wish I did...

Reply to Ads