Posted by: Cautious regarding hysterectomy | 2009-09-03

Hysterectomy vs. endometrial ablation

Hi there - my gynae keen for me to have a hysterectomy (uterus only)- almost 45 and suffer from very heavy periods but it seems endometrial ablation could be an alternative. Uterus is apparently 50%larger than normal and also have endometriosis. Concerned about putting on weight, loss of libido, etc. with a hysterectomy and wondered whether endometrial ablation could be a first stop?

If you have endometriosis and the uterus is enlarged, then a hysterectomy would be a better option. Endometrial ablation works when the uterus is not enlarged and there is no other problem.

Bestw ishes

Posted by: Tinkerbell | 2009-09-06

You dont put on weight because of a hysterectomy. Thats a myth. I had a hysterectomy last year and I never pick up any weight in fact I have lost weight.

Reply to Tinkerbell