Posted by: Isabel | 2013-01-01

Hysterectomy post op questions

I am 7 weeks post Total Abdominal Hysterectomy op. I am experiencing heavy bloating and flatulence. It sounds like a foghorn going off.

Pre-op, I have had the bloating but not the flatulence to extend that I have it now. From all that I have read and experienced, I think I have IBS. I was hoping that after the op I would experience less bloating and even have a flatter stomach but do not.

Has anyone got any advice? I return to work shortly and am so worried about the flatulence and how I will cope with it. The last thing I want is to be holding it in. Can''t see that that will be good for me.

I am situated in Gauteng and was thinking of seeing a Gastro specialist.

Appreciate any feedback.

During a hysterectomy, the bowel is manipulated and it can take a few months for it to recover its normal function. Do see a gastroenterologist if you think you have IBS though.