Posted by: Shannon hood | 2013-02-05

Hysterectomy - government hospital

My domestic worker, Joyce, a 44 year old amazing woman, has been suffering from severe abdominal pain since June 2012. She has been let down by our government hospitals on 3 occasions now"  the first was when the sebokengn hospital diagnosed her with appendicitis, told her she would have to have an appendectomy but they had no beds so to retun 2 days later and when she got there the dr, a new one of course, said she did not have appendicitis and sent her away with panado for the pain. We then managed to get an apt with the Tyne dept at the Johannesburg hospital, they said she had a lot of growths on her ovary, the biggest being 10cm long, they booked her in for a hysterectomy 2 months after her appointment. When she got there in November 2013 on the booked date, there was no bed for her and they sent her homea, with a new date of 4 Feb, today..... Low and behold when she got there today (after phone calls and visits from joyce to confirm the appointment) they sent her home again as the doctor who was due to perform the BOOKED operation was on leave. They have now given her a new date of 2 April 2013.

My questions, now that u know the frustration she is going through are... 1. Is there an affordable way for her to have a hysterectomy with a gynae that serves the community, we do not have a lot of money and could not afford private hospital fees but the government hospitals aren''t working either and she is in a lot of pain, and I REALLY want to help her so am willing to make a plan if I can find someone reasonable who could do this for her.
2. Can u recommend any pain killers that she can take on a daily basis until her next appointment in april. She has been on ibruphen and panado 3x per day for 7 months now, and it dulls the pain a little, but 7 monthis is a LONG time to have abdominal pain, so I would like to get her something stronger if there is anything u can recommend.

Even if you found a private doctor who would charge a low rate, most of the expense is from the private hospital stay. In terms of painkillers, she could try Stillpain or Tramal, but she would need a prescription for these.

Posted by: Tanya | 2013-02-06

This is a horrific story and shows what a mess SA''s health services and hospitals are in when politicians (and criminals of course) go to 5* private clinics for treatment!!!

Let her try cataflam for pain. Generally obtained OTC but have heard some pharmacists wont give it without script.

Reply to Tanya