Posted by: Chocolate | 2009-02-27

Hysterectomy at 36 years old

I am 36 yrs old. I had my second baby via C-section in January 2008. I also had my ligation done at the same time. My gynae told me that I had a fibroid at that time. I have now gone to see her for my annual check up. The fibroid is still there but, now I also have a cyst. I have been experiencing slight pelvic &  back discomfort. My periods are also heavier than normal. According to the doc my options are the LOOP(which lasts 5 yrs) or a HYSTERECTOMY. For me the loop is out as I wouldn' t want to repeat the procedure. But, am I not too young for the Hysterectomy?
Her reasoning is that I have had the ligation &  will not be having anymore kids. Removing the cyst only via a DNC means they could recur thus the hysterectomy would be better.
What are my options?

Thank you.

I would suggest the Mirena. 5 years is quite a long time and it is not such a big deal having it replaced. A hysterectomy is a major operation and should only be considered at your age if all other options have been exhausted. I presume the cyst is a simple one and may well disappear on its own.