Question
Posted by: CvR | 2011/11/01

Hysterectomy and weight gain

I had a hysterectomy about 2 years ago and have since picked up like 15kgs. No matter what I do I cannot lose the weight!

I have always been of average weight and had a safe BMI. I eat healthy, I don''''t exercise at a gym but walk 4kms at least twice a week, I always take the stairs and always walk fast, I drink my water, have 3 meals with fruit snacks in between. I have not picked up weight but haven''''t lost any either.

I am at a loss lol excuse the pun.

What could be the problem?

Dear CvR
If you have had a total hysterectomy with removal of the ovaries and thus production of female hormones then this could have caused the 15 kg weight gain. Some women do tend to gain weight when they have a total hysterectomy, while others do not. In similar fashion some women who use HRT gain weight and other lose weight. These seem to be individual reactions. You may find that if you increase your cardio exercise to 5 times a week that this additional exercise will help to stimulate your metabolism and promote weightloss. One other factor that is often overlooked is that some women develop depression after a hysterectomy which can also cause weight gain. If this could be a factor in your life, please consult a clinical psychologist to help you with depression. From a dietary point of view, it may be a good idea to see a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), for an assessment of your current diet and the possibility of insulin resistance, which is another factor that hampers weightloss.
I hope you can pinpoint what is the cause of your weight gain and inability to lose weight.

1

Dear CvR