Posted by: cat | 2011-05-31

Hysterectomy and Weight Gain

Hi there. After my second baby i had a sterilization and since then i have had heavy periods (a lot of bleeding with clots) so much that i have to use Iron tablets. My GP suggested a Hysterectomy. I do not loose weight easily and i also have an under active Thyroid. i have heard that woman gain a lot of weight when they have a hysterectomy, is this true? What will the effect of a hysterectomy be?

Weight gain is not related to hysterectomy, but to age. It is usually older women who have hysterectomies and then gain weight.
You could try the Mirena for the bleeding though.

Posted by: Geraldine | 2011-06-01

I had a hysterectomy 4 yrs ago. I have not gained weight.

Reply to Geraldine