Question
Posted by: L.H. | 2012-12-04

hysterectomy and a blood transfusion

22 Nov I had a hysterectomy performed due to uterine fibroids. No complications arose during surgery except my right ovary had to be removed as it would not stop bleeding. On the 25 Nov I was given a blood transfusion of 4 units of blood as I had very low haemoglobin which I had before the surgery however it dropped further thus resulting in the transfusion. 10 days after surgery I''m having raised temps ranging from 37 - 38.5 degrees. What could be causing this? Is it a possible infection or perhaps a delayed reaction to the blood transfusion? Would very much appreciate your opinion!
P.S. not sure this matters but I was transfused with the same blood group as myself. Thanking you.

Transfusion reactions usually occur during the transfusion. This sounds like an infection.