Question
Posted by: Jayne | 2010/04/22

Hysterectomy

What procedure options are available for a hysterectomy? How does laser surgery compare to the traditional scapel and suture operation?

Hysterectomy can be done vaginally or through a cut in the abdomen. There is no laser hysterectomy but it can be done laparoscopically. This depends on what it is being done for.

3
Posted by: Michelle | 2010/08/03

Dear Dr
I had a TAH beginning of July 2010 as my uterus has grown into the muscle tissue surrounding it. I am experiencing an intense burning in my loins making it difficult to walk up straight and causing discomfort. I wish to know if this is normal or did I maybe cause this, i.e. moving around too much?

Reply to Michelle

Posted by: Doc | 2010/04/23

First advice: Make sure that there is a valid reason for doing a hysterectomy. Half of all hysterectomies are done on healthy wombs. Secondly: There are nowadays many alternative options to a hysterectomy (e.g. endometrial abaltion). discuss this with your gynecologist.

A hysterectomy can be done abdominally or vaginally. It can be done using electrical energy (laser) or a scalpel. The electrical energy is faster in theatre and there is less blood loss, but it is significantly more expensive. Get clarity on this issue from your medical aid (ie, whether they will pay for it).

Reply to Doc