Posted by: Cat | 2010-07-10

I am a 25 year old female student. I have been diagnosed with a mild hypothyroidism. My thyroid levels (i dont have them with me on the medical script now) did fall within normal range but my GP says its not at a level it ideally should be. So i have been on 0.1 mg Eltroxin for past 4-5 months. I know i should take it everyday but i dont and when i do take it everyday it is not at the same time everyday. Nevertheless my question to you is, how severe can hypothyroidism cause memory and concentration problems. I have difficulty concentrating sometimes when i study. Its not due to over-studying, or not taking enough breaks, or something troubling my mind, or distractions. I''m not bored at all with the work either. I will be concentrating one minute and the next thing i know it, my mind has wandered off and its 15 or 30 mins later or even an hour later. I have been to a psychiatrist and hypnotist and they dont think there is anything wrong with me. I have a BSc degree and currently in 5th year of another degree. Please help. I think my life would be much more productive and happier if i knew how to sort out this problem. By the way i am also pre-diabetic and suffer from animal dander allergies. I am constantly exposed to the allergen, since i have pets that share same bedroom as me.

Hypothyrodidism can have a severe effect on your concertration abilities and it is important to take your medication regularly every day. Your doctor should re-check your thyroid levels and analise your body's response to the medication.

Being pre-diabetic can also effect your concentration abilities. It is important to control your insullin levels with regular exercise (40 minutes, six times a week), as well as a sensible diet.

You can supplement your diet with Omega 3 & 6, royal jelly, Zinc and selenium. These are easily obtainable from a health shop.

Remember that good sleep of at least 8 hours per night is imperative to enhance good concentration.

Posted by: Cat | 2010-07-12

Reply to Cat
Posted by: amy | 2010-07-12

Hi Cat,
I am also hypo, and have been on Eltroxin for 7 months now, it is important to take your meds everyday and at the same time, I take mine as soon as i wake up, remember, the only person responsible for your health is you, and obviously you want to do good in your studies, and not taking your meds is affecting this.

Reply to amy