Question
Posted by: rhea | 2011/10/04

hypothyroidism and soya

Good day

I have diagonised with hypothyroism recently. I am vegetarian with an intolerance to dairy and therefore have soya products, tofu, soya milk and or yohurt on a daily basis. I have received some articles recently advising against soy / that it aggreviates the condition.

Is there any truth to this?

Dear Rhea
There is a potential link between the use of soya and suppression of thyroid function because poorly processed soya products can contain so-called anti-nutrients. However, if you purchase soya products made by reputable manufacturers, then these anti-nutrients will be removed during processing. I trust that you are receiving the necessary thyroid hormone replacement therapy? If not, please ask your medical doctor to prescribe thyroid replacement medications, which should correct the problem.

2
Posted by: michal | 2011/11/10

Dear Doc
1.Which foods should I eat for underactive thyroid, and which foods should I avoid. Do you have a list that can be forwarded to me?

2.I am curently on 2 Eltroxyn tablets per day. Is there anything that I can take or eat naturally in order to be able to take less Eltroxyn.

Michal

Reply to michal

Dear Rhea