Posted by: Bridget | 2009-09-21

Hypothyroidism and immunity

Hi there Dr 

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid about three months ago and am on 0.5mg Eltroxin daily. I' ve since had a follow up blood test and my levels are normal, so the expectation is that I will have to continue on Eltroxin permanently.

My question is - is there a link between one' s immunity system and hypothyroidism? I have been constantly sick for months now - just a cold and post nasal drip, but enough to be feeling grotty. I take vitamins, eat very healthily, exercise etc.

Thanks for your advice

Hallo Bridget
One can get hypothyroidism as part of an autoimmune disease - see
Try taking something like Moducare to support your immune system.