Question
Posted by: Hester | 2009/10/28

Hypothyroidism and aging

Doctore, I am a 47 year old white woman. I had hyperthyroidism. Was treated with radiotherapy in Jan 2009. Was then diagnosed as hypothyroidism and used Eltroxin 0.1mg for the last 4 months. I noticed a change in my facial appearance since being hypo. My face is puffy (one of the " normal"  signs), but my facial muscles seems to be more slack since then, having an " older"  appearance than 6 months ago. Could this be due to being hypo? Will the use of Elxtrocin " restore"  some of the " old"  me again?

Hallo Hester
Hypothyroidism can cause droopy eyelids, puffy eyes, slow reflexes and muscular weakness. It will probably improve with medication.

2
Posted by: fellow patient | 2009/10/28

Once your thyroid blood test values are in the normal range, symptoms should disappear including the puffy face.

Have you been for a re-test of your thyroid?

If you face is still puffy (ie. still have symptoms), then it may mean your dose of 0.1mg may need to be increased?

Reply to fellow patient
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/10/28

Hallo Hester

Reply to cyberdoc