Posted by: Annette | 2009-02-18

hypothyroidism after RAD treament

I am a diabetic and also suffered from hyperthyroidism (both diagnosed about 3 yrs. ago). I was active playing tennis and had been able to maintain my weight at 155 lbs. (okay since I am 5' 9"  tall). I did put on about 10 lbs. while on the thyroid suppressant this last year, but continued to be active. The doctor insisted that I could not remain on the the suppressant any longer and needed the RAD treatment which I had in November. I tried to get through the holidays as best I could with all the food temptations. In January, I tried cutting calories from 1800 a day to 1200 a day, and walked/hiked 30 minutes a day. I gained 10 lbs. by the end of January and the dr. confirmed that I was now in a hypothyroid state. I can' t seem to get a lb. off no matter what I try. What am I to do? I have no clothes that fit and hate the thought of being up 2 sizes from my usual 10. Everything I read said stress can contribute to weight gain, but this whole situation is extremely stressful and depressing. I have started on the thyroid hormone replacement, but I am told it can take a few weeks for that to take effect and it may be trial and error to find the right dosage for me. How do I fight the fatigue, sleepiness, leg aches, depression, weight gain, etc. that I now face?

Dear Annette
I am so sorry to hear that you have been struggling with thyroid problems. Until your thyroid hormone levels have settled down with the thyroid hormone replacement therapy (this can take up to 3 months), you must please be patient and stick to your diet and exercise. The symptoms of hypothyroidism will improve as your thyroid hormone levels rise once again. So hang in there and once your thyroid hormone levels have stabilised you will feel much better and you should no longer be gaining weight.
I know it is hard to live through this transition period, but do give your body a chance to adapt.
Wishing you all the best and please be patient.