Question
Posted by: Cobi Mostert | 2011-03-22

Hypothyroidism

I am taking 100ug Eltroxin daily, exercise 3 times per week and follow the 6 000kj diet but still struggle to lose weight. Could I take supplements or just hang in there. I have lost 13,5kg but is standing still for a while now.

Thank you dearly

Dear Cobi
I think you are a ***star*** for losing those 13.5 kg. Hypothyroidism does make losing weight more difficult and you have done extremely well so far. I would rather not take any diet supplements or pills because some of the ingredients of over-the-counter slimming products can actually suppress thyroid function even further. One of the most useful aids to losing weight when your metabolism is a bit sluggish (as is the case in hypothyroidism), is to do as much exercise as possible, concentrating on cardio workouts (skipping, jogging, cycling, swimming, rowing, brisk walking, etc). I would, thus recommend that you use your Eltroxin and your diet and increase your exercise sessions to 5 a week, rather than to take diet pills or products. Persevere and you will start losing again.

2
Posted by: Anne | 2011-03-23

Are you still considered hypthyroid, and is weight loss in general more difficult for you, even when you are on thyroid hormone replacement and have optimal hormone levels according to the lab? Will a person''s metabolism always be sluggish just because she was once diagnosed with hypothyroidism, or does thyroid hormone replacement improve her odds?

Reply to Anne
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-03-23

Dear Cobi