Question
Posted by: LYNDA | 2009/11/24

HYPOTHYROIDISM

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism approx 5 years ago and I have been on 0.1mg Eltroxin. Aout 5 months ago I started gaining weight. I went for a blood test which indicated my thyroid was underactive even though I was on the eltroxin.

My doctor increased my dosage by 0.5mg. My latest blood test shows it is still underactive and I am still gaining weight even though I am on a strict diet I am just not losing any weight.

I am also suffering from severe headaches and feel incredibly sleepy. I tend to nod off all the time.

Is eltroxin the only medication to treat hypothyroidism? And if it not working for me what alternative is there?

Hallo Lynda
Yes Thyroid replacement therapy is the only means of treating hypothyroidism, but there are different kinds - eltroxin and tertroxin. Your doctor could maybe add some tertroxin to the current dosage. Headaches are not usually associated with thyroid problems and you may have other problems like neck muscle spasms causing this.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/11/24

Hallo Lynda

Reply to cyberdoc